Get Your Fridge Pickle On - Wasted Hack
You may have heard us bang on about fridge pickles. If you pick up our Kento Bentos Lunch Boxes at Macknade you've almost definitely tried them. They are delicious and the best way we know to use up all the odd veg in the back of the fridge. Here's the recipe:
First - make your Fridge Pickle Liquor – this is enough for a jar or tub
- 100ml water
- 75ml white wine/ cider vinegar
- 25g sugar (don’t worry you won’t be eating this, it helps preserve the veg and most of it stays in the liquor)
- ¼ tsp salt
Add spices if you want - use whole seed - cumin seed, chilli flakes, mustard seeds, coriander seed, juniper berries, caraway seed.
Gently warm to dissolve salt and sugar. Remove from heat and let cool.
Pop in Tupperware box or jar and put in fridge.
Add random bits of veg as they appear in fridge eg
- half a carrot - sliced or batoned
- that bit of onion or cabbage that's left over, sliced
- the odd beetroot or few florets of cauliflower
- the half of cucumber that's not going to get eaten - chunked or sliced
- green beans, peppers, turnips, courgette gluts…
Take out what you need to add a bit of flavour to your salad, sarnie, lunch box.
Most veg ready in a couple of days and happy to sit there for a month.
- Katy Newton