Veg & Chickpea Shakshuka - Wasted Recipe
Chickpeas are delicious and we always have a can or two in the cupboard or some frozen. Combine with a Wasted Dahl and/ or tinned tomatoes and a handful of ingredients you might find lurking around in the fridge make a great last minute dinner, breakfast or brunch!
Here's our (very flexible) recipe for Chickpea, Wasted Dahl Shakshuka - serves 2 generously
- An onion
- Clove or two of garlic
- Something to spice it up - we use cumin and chilli but coriander, paprika are good too
- Veg (optional)- courgette, peppers, aubergines, celery... (dig out whatever needs using/ is in the bottom of the veg box that you don't know what to do with)
- Chickpeas - can or equivalent cooked (optional if no veg)
- Tinned Tomatoes and/ or Wasted Dahl (or other Dahl!)
- Eggs - optional
- Feta - optional
- Spinach/ Rocket - optional
- Fry off the spices an onion and clove of garlic until soft (use a large frying pan, saucepan or wok).
- Add tomato and/ or Dahl - we used a 300 ml jar or tub of our Wasted Dahl
- Add a can of drained chickpeas (or equivalent cooked) - if using. If you've got a load of other veg to use up you might not need them.
- Turn hob down or put in preheated oven at 160 for 25 minutes
- At the last minute stir any spinach or rocket you might have lying around through it
- If you are feeling fancy or find yourself doing this for breakfast break an egg or three in and let them cook
- Sprinkle w Feta if you have some
- Tadaaah! Serve up with bread and maybe a dollop of yoghurt
- Katy Newton