Smoked Mackerel & Baby Gem Party 'Boats'
These are a super easy, super tasty high protein gut friendly starter and they're pretty good on eye too. Great as nibbles or a starter.
- A packet of smoked mackerel
- A tub of cream cheese - we go full fat
- A lemon
- Pepper - unless you've bout mackerel with pepper already on it
- A couple of baby gem lettuces
Optional - Creme Fraiche, mini gherkins and/ or capers, pink onion pickles
- Remove the skin from your smoked mackerel and pop it in a bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon over it and mash it with a fork. The lemon helps to soften it as well as giving it flavour.
- Add the cream cheese and mix it through. If you've got capers or gherkins chop a handful of them up and add them to the mix.
- Pop it into the fridge while you sort the lettuce.
- Get you baby gem and chop the root end off. Remove the outer leaves few leaves if they're looking a bit tired and start peeling off the leaves until you've got enough for the amount of 'boats' you want to make. You'll probably have a few extra so pick the more 'stiff' inner ones for your boats and use the others for a salad.
- Give them a rinse and a shake to dry them - a salad spinner is helpful here if you've got one.
- Get your smoked mackerel pate and use a teaspoon to pop some on to each leaf then lay out on a plate.
- If you've got some pink onions pop some on top. Quick pickles hack - chop up a red onion and put it in a bowl, pour wine or cider vinegar over it. Leave for ten minutes. Ready to go and make everything look pretty.
- Katy Newton