Veggie & Feta Baked Fritters - Wasted Recipe
If you haven't tried veggie fritters you haven't lived. If you have suddenly found yourself with a glut of squash or courgette - or just don't know what to do with the stuff in your veg box then this recipe is for you! And it is REALLY simple.
Enough for four/ five as a starter/ 2/3 as a main.
Courgettes/ Squash/ Carrot - equivalent of two regular size courgettes. You could also add diced onion/ sweetcorn/ chopped spring onion/ fermented cabbage or sauerkraut (gives it a nice 'bite' and a bit of zing).
Flour - we use gram flour to keep gluten down and increase protein levels, plain flour works too and self raising makes them pleasantly puffy.
Eggs - two medium (you can just miss out the eggs and add a bit of water and extra flour - gram works best if you are making without eggs)
Feta, crumbled - I would use half a pack to but it can take more.
Seasoning - salt, pepper, chilli flakes, cumin, nigella seed
- Grate the veg (large holes), sprinkle with a bit of salt,
- If you are going to bake them pre-heat oven to 170. Prep baking sheet with baking paper/ foil and grease it lightly (important).
- Put veg in a mixing bowl, add feta, onion/ ferment, seasoning/ spices (if you are using) and eggs (if using)
- Mix together - clean hands work best, wooden spoon good too
- Add a cup of flour and water if you need it (that's a definite if you aren't using eggs) and mix in. If you are frying then you want a loose, scrambled egg like batter. If you are baking you want something that will hold together. Try forming a fritter like shape and if it sticks together you're good to go. If it's not quite there add a bit more flour. I find each batch varies slightly as to how much flour it needs.
- To bake your fritters form fritter size balls with your hands put on baking tray and press down lightly to form fritter shapes.
- Pop into oven and bake for 12 minutes. Check and turn and bake for another 10 minutes until they are nicely browned.
- To fry your fritters heat some oil in your frying pan and spoon fritters in. Once they're cooked on one side turn and cook on other.
- Serve with slaw/ beans/ dipping sauce and be very pleased with yourself.
- Katy Newton