Wasted Recipe - Courgette or Squash & Feta Fritters
If you haven't tried veggie fritters you haven't lived. Or at least you've never had so many courgettes or squashes hanging around that you're wondering if it's ok to keep them in the bathroom. If you have suddenly found yourself with a glut or just don't know what to do with the stuff in your veg box delivery this recipe is for you! And it is REALLY simple.
Enough for four/ five as a starter/ 2/3 as a main.
Courgettes/ Squash - equivalent of two regular size courgettes/ one almost marrow sized because you forgot about it and left it growning.
Flour - we use gram flour to keep gluten down, plain flour works too and self raising makes them pleasantly puffy and works in an emergency!
Eggs - two medium
Feta, crumbled - I would use half a pack to two courgettes but it can take more.
Diced onion/ chopped spring onion/ fermented cabbage or sauerkraut (gives it a nice 'bite' and a bit of zing)
Seasoning - salt, pepper, chilli flakes, cumin
- Grate the veg (large holes), sprinkle with a bit of salt, put into a sieve over a bowl, pop into fridge and forget about it/ let it drain for an hour or longer. Basically you are trying to get rid of water so the wetter the veg the more you want to get out of it. Courgettes are 'wetter' than squashes so will take longer and you will get more liquid.
- Take veg out of fridge and give it a good squeeze with your hands to get rid of as much liquid as possible (get right in there - this is not the time for a soft approach!).
- Pre-heat oven to 170. Prep baking sheet with baking paper/ foil and grease it lightly (important).
- Put veg in a mixing bowl, add feta, onion/ ferment, seasoning/ spices (if you are using) and eggs
- Mix together - clean hands work best, wooden spoon good too
- Add a cup of flour and mix in. Try forming a fritter like shape and if it sticks together you're good to go. If it's not quite there add a bit more flour. I find each batch varies slightly as to how much flour it needs.
- Form fritter size balls with your hands (expect to get around seven or eight fritters), put on baking tray and press down lightly to form fritter shapes.
- Pop into oven and bake for 12 minutes. Check and turn and bake for another 10 minutes until they are nicely browned.
- Serve with slaw/ beans/ dipping sauce and be quietly pleased with yourself.